Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Damage (Flooded Part 2)

 It has taken me a while to work up to posting about this. What did I lose in the flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey?

What I didn't lose is most important: my wife, my kids, my dogs, my friends, my home, my faith, or even my job. What I did lose is hard enough.

I lost a lot of things I have collected over the years, going back to when I was a kid. Nutcrackers -dozens of them - and books. Oh so many books. Hundreds of books. Enough to literally stuff a dozen tall bookshelves. Highlights include:

  • Most of the Bibles in our family, including those given to our sons at their birth. Thankfully, my old family Bible (dating back to the 1870s) is in a safe in a house that did not flood.
  • Kim, by Rudyard Kipling, given me by my grandmother
  • Fifteen first edition Casca novels
  • Monster Hunters International Limited Edition Leather bound
  • All of my Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin novels (I had all 21)
  • About half of the Horseclans books, again, first editions.
  • Everything S.M. Sterling has written, in hardback if available that way.
  • Most of my Harry Turtledove books.
  • My Richard Scarry books from when I was a kid.
  • All of my sons' Series of Unfortunate Events books - the entire series
  • My Odyssey and Iliad, gifts from my grandmother
  • My language dictionaries (German, Welsh, Spanish, and Latin)
  • All of the Song of Fire and Ice, first print, hardback.
  • My hardback Lord of the Rings.


I lost a bunch of game related stuff, too. Including...

  • Original Ogre Pocket Box
  • All my D&D stuff, from red box to 3.5
  • Star Frontiers, several editions
  • Twilight 2000 and 2013
  • All my GURPS stuff, including several rare ones (Swashbucklers, for example) and Man to Man.
  • A lot of terrain.
  • All of my Ospreys
  • Almost all of my board games.
  • Custom terrain boards
  • But, as far as I can tell, no minis.

   Plus furniture. And clothes. And a lot of my sons's stuff: trophies and martial arts belts and stuffed animals and school projects and... well, you get the picture.

I have a few dry boxes left to go through, so I may have a few things yet I'm hoping that I didn't lose.

Sorry for the whinging post. In perspective, I have friends who lost basically everything they own. People lost their lives (thankfully, no one I knew personally). I lost stuff, and most of it wasn't an everyday useful item - it was in storage, after all. But it sucks. Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Don M said...

man, that's still a hard loss, very sorry to hear you had to go through it. I am glad it missed your home and all else!

Terry Silverthorn said...

The main thing is your family & you are safe and able to move forward, hopefully insurance will cover most of the losses allowing your family to rebuild.

Eli Arndt said...

Just now reading this. I am so sorry for all the loss, my friend. Sure it could have been worse but there are memories in there.