Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Eight of My Favorite Things

Favorite British Politician: Winston Churchill

   This one is almost a no-brainer. I mean, who doesn't think Winston Churchill was an amazing individual? He was a Victorian cavalryman. He was a war correspondent. He was a prisoner of war. He was a Lord of Admiralty. He was both a Liberal and a Conservative MP. He held Britain to the course through World War II as Prime Minister. He wrote histories. He painted. Just an amazing fellow.

Favorite Ice Cream: Bluebell Homemade Vanilla

   It's the simple pleasures, isn't it? But, when I am in the UK and Bluebell is basically unavailable, I do enjoy a Mr. Whippy.

Favorite Comedy Film: Blazing Saddles

   I will still argue that this is both the funniest film ever made and one that could never be made again. Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Slim Pickens... pure genius. Made racism absurd. And gave us Lilli von Schtupp and candygrams for Mongo.

Favorite Band: Queen

   This one is a little harder, because I also really like the Beatles, the Eagles, and Metallica. But Queen wins. Bonus: my favorite Queen song is (duh!) Bohemian Rhapsody, and my second favorite is probably Don't Stop Me Now.

Favorite Beer: Shiner Bock

   At least, based on what I have had the most to drink in my lifetime. I also really enjoy Newcastle Brown Ale, Spaten Optimator, Franziskaner Hefeweizen, and a pretty wide variety of other beers. Strangely, beer is not my favorite alcoholic beverage. 

Favorite Sweet: Pie

   I love pie. Not all pies - not a huge fan of most fruit pies, honestly. But Key Lime pie, or peanut butter pie, or coconut cream pie, or chocolate almond pie, or - oh sweet God in Heaven - fresh homemade apricot fried pies... Yep. Love 'em. Cake, you can keep. Just let me have my pie.

Favorite Car I've Owned: 2002 Mercedes Benz C230K

   Actually my current car, but its getting a bit long in the tooth. Still runs really well. Cosmetics are starting to wear though, and it's a bit low to the ground for me nowadays. I'm looking to replace it in the next year or so with a newer Mercedes, either an E-class sedan or a G-class SUV. Not new, though.

Favorite Car, Period: Aston Martin DB5

   Most beautiful car ever. I hear they aren't particularly comfortable, nor particularly fast. Still beautiful. Second place is the Jaguar E Type.

This list was going to have ten items on it, but I'm out of time. Off to have dinner with the missus and then watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on the big screen.

No comments: