Sunday, October 20, 2013

A-Z Reading Survey

I saw this on another fabulous blog, and thought: what fun!

"This is one of those questionnaires that's going around,  It originates here - not a site I frequent, I promise.  It's aimed at fan girls, but there's some  nice questions, so here goes." - The Depressive Diplomat

Author you've read the most books from:

   It would have to be either Harry Turtledove or S.M. Stirling. Patrick O'Brien, Jerry Pournelle, Eric Flint, Robert Heinlein, Andre Norton, David Weber and David Drake all get an honorable mention here.


Best sequel ever:

   From Russia With Love. Oh, you meant in a book! The problem is that it depends on your definition of a sequel. In a set of books which was originally intended to be a trilogy - The Lord of the Rings, for example - I don't consider the following books to be a sequel, because it is all part of a cohesive story. With that in mind I would have to say that my favorite is probably... In the Court of the Crimson Kings, by S.M. Stirling.

Currently reading:
  • Living with the Dead in the Middle Ages, Patrick J. Geary
  • Salem Possessed: The Social Origins of Witchcraft, Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum
  • Inside Hitler's Greece: The Experience of Occupation 1941-44, Mark Mazower

Drink of choice whilst reading:

   Darjeeling, white, two sugars.

E-reader or physical book?:

    Physical. I have a Kindle, and it's nice for travel and light reading, but I adore and collect physical books.

Fictional character you would probably have dated in high school:

   Which do you mean: one that I would have wanted to date or one that I actually would have dated? I'll just say Hermione Granger. We know what she was like as a teen, and she was cute but very bookish. I'd ahve stood a chance, and I'd have liked her. 

Glad you gave this book a chance:

    Airborne, Kenneth Oppel.

Hidden book gem?

    London to Ladysmith via Praetoria, Sir Winston Churchill. A great first hand account of the Second Anglo-Boer War by a future Prime Minister. Yes, he's that Winston Churchill.

Important moment in your book life:

   A tossup question: either learning to read at 2, or reading Dune in 3rd grade.

Just finished:

    Carnifex, by Tom Kratman

Kind of book you won't read:

   Twilight, or any of that sort of vampire-romance twaddle. Vampires are fiendish parasites that prey on the blood of humanity.
  
Longest book you've read:

   I don't know, as I have read multiple thousand plus page books. The only one I remember off the top of my head page count-wise is the trade paperback edition of Battlefield Earth, because it also happens to be the same year that William of Normandy won the Battle of Hastings and took the throne of England (1066, of course).

Major book hangover because of:

  I'm not entirely certain what a 'book hangover' is. The only negative effect I have ever experienced from reading a book is being very tired the following morning if I stayed up too late reading.

Number of bookcases you own:

   Eleven, of various sizes. All are stuffed with books, both fiction and nonfiction, games, pictures, binders...

One book you've read multiple times:

   I've probably read Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers the most number of times. I re-read lots of books, though.

Preferred place to read:

   Depends on what I am reading. 
  • Reading monographs for school? The corner booth in the McDonald's on 646 at I-45 in League City, Texas. Few interruptions/distractions, free coffee refills, and a clean restroom.
  • Reading for fun? 1) The bath. Just shy of scalding hot. 2) My adjustable bed.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 
Reading regret:

   Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe. Assigned in tenth grade, I still remember this as the most boring book I ever read.

Series you started and need to finish:

   The Song of Ice and Fire. Mostly waiting on George to write them. Hurry, George, hurry!

Three of your all-time favorite books:
  • Starship Troopers, Robert Heinlein
  • HMS Surprise, Patrick O'Brien
  • The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien

Unapologetic fanboy for:

   H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Very Excited for this release:

   Whatever the next Song of Ice and Fire book will be.

Worst bookish habit:

   Dog-earing paperbacks.

X Marks the spot - start at the top left of your bookshelf and pick the 27th book:
  1. Sir John Fisher's Naval Revolution, Nicholas Lambert
  2. Austerlitz, 1805: The Battle of Three Emperors, David Chandler (Osprey Campaign 2)
  3. The Great War: American Front, Harry Turtledove
  4. The Reverse of the Medal, Patrick O'Brien
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling
  6. Webelos Handbook, BSA
  7. The Sword of the Spirits, John Christopher
  8. The Serpent's Shadow, Rick Riordan
  9. General Chemistry, Whitten, Gailey and Davis
  10. Oath of Gold, Elizabeth Moon
  11. Echoes of Honor, David Weber

Your latest book purchase:

   Medieval Technology and Social Change, Lynn White, Jr.

Zzzz Snatcher - the last book that kept you up waaaay too late):

   Carnifex, Tom Kratman


2 comments:

Diplomatist said...

Interesting answers, and thanks for the kind words.

I must do the second half of the questionnaire and post it. Other things have been getting in the way...

J Womack, Esq. said...

Edwin, I know how that is. It took me two days to get around to finishing this one, and I really should have been working on other things. It was my escape for a few days.