Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Game of Thrones

   So, I read all the books for years, finally got the last one back in August. Can't wait for the next one. And this week, I broke down and bought the DVD set for the first season of HBO's treatment of the books.

   All in all, I like them. A bit too raunchy for my taste at times - I know, the books are just as bad in some ways, but then, my sons don't want to read over my shoulder. I find myself having to wait until they are in bed or otherwise occupied before I can watch an episode. Rather a pain. Such is the price of parenting, I suppose.

   I do wish more parents considered what their children watch. My students (13-14 year olds) think I am the meanest dad in the world because I won't let my sons watch garbage like the Saw movies. I don't mind them seeing violence in a battle scene or something like that, but the sick and twisted mindgames of a show like Saw - and I haven't seen it either, but know enough of the concept to think it is not worth my time - I just don't want my kids to watch. They are 13 and 16. They know that sick people are out in the world. I just don't think they need to watch someone's twisted sadistic fantasies played out on film.

   Actually, I just wish more parents realized that 'parent' is a verb as well as a noun. That is, it is an action, not just a title. The world would be a better place for it.

/soapbox

   I'll wrapup my monthly goals tomorrow, once I get my homework done. Look for next month's goals on Sunday. Say good night to the nice people, Gracie.

No comments: