Sunday, October 5, 2008

Voyage of RTS Santa Fe

04 October....

This morning we departed Houston in the newly commissioned RTS Santa Fe (an armed merchant ether flyer we recently purchased from the British). We are a company of Marine Sappers attached to the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Regiment of Army pukes aka "Black Legs". Our final destination is to the Veiled Planet, where we are to build an advance base in the swamp and marsh of this miserable planet. After training in the swamps around Anahuac in July and August, I cannot imagine this planet being any worse as the mosquitoes and gators kept us up during the night.

My men are itching for a good adventure and their spirits will remain high as long as I keep my comanding officer away from them. Subaltern Fredrick A. Griggs is fresh from the Academy and a real by-the-book officer, though if I ever catch him leaving that damn book (The Correct Manner of a Republic Officer in the Field) lying around, I will use it for kindling in my fire or let Private Jones use it for cleanliness after a good meal.

Being a Gunnery Sergeant in the Republic Marine Corps, I have been on board a few vessels at sea but nothing prepared me for this kind of voyage. This hulk is noisier and shakes more than a Chinese whaling vessel.

Well, I must end the log entry as I am going topside to see the Earth from the stars.

1 comment:

J Womack, Esq. said...

Alright! Finally the RSM makes a post!

Good stuff, my friend! Keep it up.